Friday, November 30, 2012

Gluten Free and Resources!

Recently, we decided to take a more holistic path when it comes to our family. We've always been health conscious when it comes to eating right but with the discovery of essential oils we now apply healthy decisions to every aspect of our lives. We started to use an essential oil called Frankincense on the bottom of Naysa's feet as it has properties that can control seizures. She is completely off Topamax, it wasn't doing it's job and I really don't want her back on steroids or any other harmful drugs. She was reminiscent of a zombie half the time! Frankincense has done a pretty good job controlling the spasms but there was still one or two a day, sometimes more. I didn't understand why...it had worked so well for everyone else, why not Naysa? Then yesterday, I got it! Typically, she only has two bottles of milk a day. One in the morning, one at night and throughout the day I give her juice and water. Yesterday afternoon I was scrambling around the kitchen to get her some lunch as she yelled at me from the living room, I decided to tide her over with some milk while she waited for her food to finish cooking. After her bottle, waiting for her food to cool I sat her in my lap on the couch with her facing me so we could play patty cake. She started having spasms! Three in a row...which is completely out of character since beginning the Frankincense. I got worried and curious and consulted my good friend Dr. Google. I typed in Dairy and Infantile Spasms, scanned a few links which lead me to search other things (You know how he likes to suck you into a searching frenzy) and eventually found myself reading about Gluten Free Diet and Infantile Spasms. With IS being one of the rarest types of seizure, there isn't a whole lot of research to go by but if I believe anything, it is the word of another mother. I came across blogs of children with IS who tried the GF diet with incredible results! One boy was having upwards of 200 seizures a DAY, six weeks into the diet he was down to TWO!!! I was convinced. Yesterday afternoon we adopted a GF lifestyle for Naysa and I cannot wait to report the results :) She is taking vitamins along with the oil and diet. B6 in the morning with breakfast as it works with seizure control. A liquid multi-vitamin she thinks is candy and I am waiting on another one to come in the mail called Speak Smooth. It is a special blend of Omega 3's and Vitamin to encourage verbal communication! I am really praying to see the effects of this one.

    Upon my Google searchings and talking with resourceful mamas, I've also discovered other amazing therapies we are aiming to try:
  • Hyperbaric Oxygen TherapyA proven alternative medicine for Traumatic Brain Injury, neurological and other medical conditions. (http://www.hbot.com/)
  • Chiropractic Care for Children:  Focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system along with the effects of these disorders on general health.  (http://www.drwhitaker.com/chiropractic)

 Naysa has been doing very well! Since we have taken her off Topamax she is more alert and interactive,  she is happier and tries harder to communicate. She's learned two new signs in a very short period of time (mama, dada) and has recently decided she wants to learn to come to a sitting position from laying on her back! We've been working at this and I hope she masters it soon, she tries so hard! She has been acting more like a typical toddler and even venturing with her oral motor skills! We are currently working on straw use and feeding herself. It's pretty messy, but when she takes that sip or bite...it's beyond worth it.

As promised, here are links to more information :)
  •  GMO Free Shopping Guides:
  1. http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/shopping-guide.html 
  2. http://truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/supermarkets-and-ge-foods/ 

  • Vitamins we use for Naysa:
  1. Speak Smooth http://www.speechnutrients.com/products/speak-smooth/
  2. Vitamin B6 http://www.country-life.com/productdetails.php?product_id=345 
  3. Multi-vitamin http://awakennutrition.com/agape/about.html
***Consult your doctor before weaning medications or starting any new therapy. 
**If you have questions or want to discuss any of this further, please feel free to contact me at Naysasmommy@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if this is double posted or not, but....

    Thanks for the link (I'm the carrageenan guy!).

    What's interesting to me is that carrageenan sensitivity and gluten sensitivity might have a lot in common. It's possible the body might produce antibodies for each molecule that are very similar to one another. I've come across many GF people who have reactions to alginates that are similar to gluten.

    ReplyDelete